Total Pageviews

Friday, June 10, 2011

A Look at the Book #477

A Look at the Book #477

by Jesse Abel



Daily Devotional – A Look at the Book #477

A Thought for today by Papa “J”

How tenderly we care for the kitten or puppy in our homes and yet tears run strong because we allow our young men and women to walk in the way of carnality by pleasing his or her eyes with a disobedient heart. Ecclesiastes 11:9-10


A DAY IN THE PAST, THE PRESENT OR THE FUTURE

Just before the turn of this century we were sitting in the home of my parents. I looked down at my shoes for whatever reason and noticed that one of my shoe laces had come undone. So I stood and placed my foot on the chair and retied my shoe. Just as I finished; I heard that familiar voice of my father (the one that I most often feared)… “Rosella; (my mom’s name) look at the way your boy ties his shoes, no wonder his shoes come undone all the time, he doesn’t know how to tie his shoes.” “Oh! That’s just what I needed to hear alright, since I was a mere fifty-nine years old at the time!” He was right, but here is the point! Do I blame him for my lack of know how since it took him fifty-nine years to figure out how to correct my wrong doing? “NO!” Yes under the loop or over the loop to make a knot is a small thing, but it matters a great deal when it comes to having a respect for authority. The criterion for raising a family these days is governed by people who do not have children of their own, who blame their parents for everything they are. Who have never opened the pages of a Holy Bible and who believe that a good healthy spanking is child abuse. Thank the LORD that I was fifty-nine, because if I had been nine I just may have gotten a spanking for not paying attention at the age of five! Proverbs 22:15; 23:22 and Proverbs 29:15. And yes I am strapped in a little better these days because my daddy taught me how to tie my shoes twice. The first time I did not pay attention. How about you; are you paying attention? Ephesians 6:1-4

1 Peter

1 Peter 2: 17 – I think that the LORD is awesome, what do you think? Our portion of study in this epistle yesterday was to include verse 17 and I totally missed it, but this morning the LORD pointed it out to me and now it is all that I can think about so we will spend the remainder of our time together looking at the word… HONOR!

Honor by itself is useless! What? I said; “Honor without and object means nothing” The apostle Peter literally says in this verse to honor all people. This is our very first failure in respect for authority in that we dishonor many people. Now I do not mean that the people have authority and demand honor, but that God is the Authority and He commands us to; Honor all! Failure to do this dishonors God and when we dishonor Him everything in the pathway of submission fails.

There is another element in this verse that is just as much a command as the one to honor and that is the command to love the brotherhood. Saints have something in common that no one else has on this planet. Saints have a relationship with God and God’s children. How can one say that he or she loves God and hate his or her brother or sister who also loves God and is a saint? 1 John 4:7-21. So turn your eyes to Jesus Christ, honor Him. He is the object of faith and of love for the brotherhood; you’ll be so glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment