Total Pageviews

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Devotional – 1411 – Biblical Words flow with milk and honey!


The Devotional – 1411 – Biblical Words flow with milk and honey!

Proverbs 20:15 – There is gold and a multitude of rubies, but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.

 

 Comments and challenges

When I was serving in the U.S. Navy there was a slogan and I am sure to get it wrong since this morning is the first time I thought of it in twenty seven years. Now there is another thought; I cannot imagine that in two more years if the LORD tarries or decides to take me home I will be retired from the Navy for as long as I served. Well this may be another story for another day. The slogan; “there is your way, my way and the Navy way to do everything” so the idea here was to do things the Navy way and save yourself a lot of rework.

Yet and I am sure it is the same in all businesses, trades and efforts of life to do things the right way, which in Navy jargon is the right way with the Navy blessing. However, it seldom takes long for the “individual mindset” and not the “corporate mindset” to find ways to cut the corners of how things are done. Sometimes these alternate methods of accomplishing a task are good and adopted by military or civilian practices and rewarded. When shaving of corners cause harm or cause damage, it is not so good and reprimand or discipline is the result.

Humanly we adopt this mindset in most everything we do, I remember my dad teaching me to tie my shoes around the age of five, right after he returned home from World War Two. Then about a year before he died I bent over to tie a lose shoelace and he watched. “Rosella”! “do you see what your son is doing, he is sixty years old and he doesn’t yet know how to tie his shoes”. In my mind the temperature went from a cool seventy degrees to somewhere near the equator!

“What do you mean I don’t know how to tie my shoes?’ “Son I taught you to run the lace over the loop not under it; no wonder you are always tying your shoes since they keep undoing the way you do it.” Well guess what, he was right I paid attention to his verbal reprimand and now my shoes stayed tied. I haven’t had a shoe come untied now for fourteen years, he would be proud that now I keep doing it the right way.

We get away with things like this in human life all too easily, but when it comes to the Living Word of God there is no opportunity to cut or shave the corners. By the way… did you pay attention here? God does not allow one jot or tittle (Matthew 5:18) to be removed or altered in His Word till all is fulfilled. For my simple way of thinking I can see in my mind that if we take our human reasoning into the spiritual disciplines of the Word of God we will come away with (carnality or as some versions of the Holy Bible say fleshly) lifestyles of modern Christianity today.

Okay! I gotta get on with it, time is working against me again and yet I suppose that if this is all I had to do I could very easily spend the day dining on milk and honey! Oh what a wonderful way to spend the day. Did you know that there are at least sixty-four sins that were active in the Corinthian church? The apostle Paul records them, but we will not count these sins or search them out. I just want to get us started on the Wisdom of God, the wisdom of man and the angelic wisdom that separates mankind from knowing God as we ought to know Him.

Now it is evident from God’s Word that He views Spiritual matters as Wisdom flowing with milk and honey, but for the nations and people groups in the world this wisdom is foolishness and to the Jew a stumbling block of offense. Spirituality is not available then to the human mindset; that is until Christ Crucified for the sin of the world is understood as the Power and Wisdom of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18-25. Once we see Jesus in this Light (John 8:12) the milk and honey of the Living Word begins flowing in our soul, or simply; Spirituality becomes real to us.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.


For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. From this passage we can understand that God’s Wisdom is not understood with human intellect and as we move into chapter two, God explains why. Okay enough for today! Let the Word of God dwell in you today and be rich in blessings of milk and honey as the strong meat comes later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment