Total Pageviews

Friday, June 15, 2012

The Devotional - A Look at the Book #734

by Jesse Abel

Psalm 119:162 Most of us are treasure hunters; some looking for a temporary moment of entertainment and some are like this psalmist who has found a treasure that endures the length of eternity!

Good Morning

Getusetavit! (Get used to it!) When I first heard that phrase I was listening to my wife talking about some critical thing she was explaining to her children. As the years past and those children grew, got married and had children of their own. “Getusetavit” sort of faded out of her vocabulary.

I had all but forgotten the phrase. But, recently the family was all sitting together after a Sunday meal and out of the youngest daughter's mouth as she was talking to her son, I heard her say; “getusetavit”. My first subconscious reaction was “I heard that before”! I was reminded that adult life takes the child out of the family, but also that this same life will not take the family and tradition out of the child no matter how old the child is.

This made me think too that when we come to know Jesus personally, He makes us a part of His Family and He challenges us as children growing up that His grace is sufficient for our everyday walk with Him. And, He as the loving Father that He is says to us. “My grace is sufficient for you”.
2 Corinthians 12:9 – is a unique passage and the words are identified in my Bible as the words of Jesus to the apostle. Earlier in the chapter the apostle Paul speaks of a man in Christ (Himself) who was taken up to the third heaven who came to visions in the LORD. Do you think that this is where the apostle heard those words recorded in this verse?

My answer is no; since the apostle clearly says that what he saw in Paradise and heard are not expressible legally on earth. Does this raise the eyebrow? It should; since we who are nearly two thousand years removed from this event in the apostle’s life are more tempted these days to brag about, visions and such from the pulpits all across America.

2 Corinthians 12:5-7 – Across America today, we are a needy people and we are missing the mark. We have nothing to brag about except our infirmities. Men who stand in the pulpit and desire to be looked upon as some sort of biblical icon are found in the epistle of Jude, take a moment and read Jude’s warning. Then if God permits; return to the sufficiency of God’s Amazing grace and getusetavit! Notice Jude 1:24-25. My grace is sufficient for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment