Total Pageviews

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Devotional - A Look at the Book #738

by Jesse Abel

Psalm 19:1 – What joy and confidence it is to look up to the heavens and cast your eyes on God’s amazing Creation. The expanse of the heavens express the Glory of God and the work of His Hands reveal His Wisdom and love for us.

Good Morning

Some years ago we went to Washington State for a temporary teaching assignment while employed at Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut. As we approached the Seattle/Tacoma Airport we were able to see Mount Rainer, a very impressive sight poking into the airspace just below our plane.

In May of 1966 as an unbeliever, my brother-in-law and I tried to partially climb this mountain (without climbing gear, but with a beer or two). We did this to impress our families who were on a road a few hundred feet above watching. As we approached the road where our families were we began talking with them and bragging on our climb. “See you worry for nothing” those could have been my last words.

Instantly the ground fell out from under us, we were in a landslide. The ground seemed to be running away from our feet. We began to run seeking just to stay vertical, my lungs began to ache for air and rest, instead of the dust and in a short time I was exhausted. My brother-in-law screamed; “I can't run anymore” and with that he was gone from my side.

I kept running, but soon I went down too. Rocks were flying everywhere. As I went downward I passed a small tree and attached to the tree was my brother-in-law. He made a grabbed for me but missed, but I was able to grab his leg and held on. It seemed forever, but finally the rocks and dirt stopped moving and things became very quiet and still.

Looking back on this scares me even to this day. Both of us suffered bloody hands, ankles and bruised egos but that was all. One rock of five pounds could have killed us. Many larger ones bounced over us or rolled right by within inches.

Life without Jesus is a landslide and death is always nearby; but praise God. In 1975 on May 20th. The LORD Jesus reached into my fallen state of life and rescued me from the rocks and the stoning I deserve. John 8:1-2. His Mercy followed me through my fallen life and spared me. His grace rescued me and keeps me saved in His raised life. John 10:26-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment