Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Devotional - 1486 - The Judgments and Justice of God



The Devotional – 1486 – The Judgments and Justice of God
Psalm 119:73-80 – Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments. Those who fear You will be glad when they see me, because I have hoped in Your word. I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right, and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me. Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant. Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; for Your law is my delight. Let the proud be ashamed, for they treated me wrongfully with falsehood; but I will meditate on Your precepts. Let those who fear You turn to me, those who know Your testimonies. Let my heart be blameless regarding Your statutes, that I may not be ashamed. 

Comments and Challenges

Every person who has trusted in God has this common understanding; “Your hands have made me and fashioned me. Job 10:8 – Your hands have made me and fashioned me, an intricate unity; Yet You would destroy me. Psalm 92:4 – For You, Lord, have made me glad through Your work; I will triumph in the works of Your hands. There are many passages throughout the Holy Word of God that present similar thought.

I was encouraged with the psalmist request after he acknowledged that his framework (body and soul) was fashioned by God. “Give me understanding; that I may learn Your commandments”. Also note that Job says; “Yet, you would destroy me”! And the writer of Psalm 92 – in speaking about the Sabbath Day of Rest says; that in gladness of body and soul I will triumph in the works of Your hands within the congregation.

How far we get into this section of Psalm 119 today is becoming less important to me; what is more important is the rich encouragement that only God who fashioned us; both in the image of (man) and in the image of (God) as Job says: “an intricate unity” is interested in this; that we know that He created us and that He has given us the ability to speak to Him as you and I speak to one another. 

While through the image of man, we commonly speak to one another with our heart (human spirit) of flesh and mind. Therefore the ability to speak to God is through His image; the soul. While your mouth speaks and your mind thinks, it is by way of the soul and the Spirit of God in us, that we communicate to God, 1 Corinthians 2:6-16.

What a powerful message the psalmist has for you and me, so many of us hurt from the circumstances of life. I could not begin to number them, in some respects it would be selfish to claim a circumstance of affliction since many who read this are hurting more. Some times in our lives the tears of being foolish run freely down our cheeks, so we turn our head so no one will see. God sees, does He not! Only He can comfort. How do I know this, how do you know this? Only by allowing God who made us, provide the comfort needed and see us through it.

I suppose this is the first time that I have personally looked into Psalm 119, what is interesting to me is that God has allowed me to learn some of the detail of the Psalm in times past, yet and while the history and detail is important; it is not until the personal application of the Psalm is needed that God opens the door of the intimate mercy that God gives to everyone anyone is in need. What is neat is Go uses any portion of scripture for this purpose.

Folks! “Do not be foolish with the Living Word of God!” if you are a “take it or leave it person at the moment” now don’t be shy about this since we have all taken the Living Word at times and we have all left it at times” yet do not let this be your final excuse. YOU NEED the LIVING WORD OF GOD more than you need “air to breathe”.

The psalmist says that the judgments of God are “good” the Hebrew rendering of the word is “righteous” that means that the justice of God IS TRUE; Psalm 19:9 so then should we not consider that the righteous judgments of God in our personal life are better than the gold in one’s pocket. Yes, His justice is far better than Gold that perishes… His JUSTICE does not perish. So then, the final judgment is either in the victory of being in Jesus Christ – 1 Corinthians 15:55-58, or in His Judgment of those who are perishing – 2 Corinthians 4:3-6.

“Let us therefore turn our eyes upon Jesus, let us therefore look fully on His wonderful face… for the things of this earth are growing dim in the LIGHT of His GLORY and GRACE.” I will add that this is not a “swan song” as some may take it; but to God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment